In a joint status report filed on May 11, 2021, the Department of Defense (DOD) and Xiaomi Corporation (Xiaomi) notified the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia that they have reached an agreement in which Xiaomi will be removed from DOD’s list of Communist Chinese Military Companies (CCMC). DOD agreed that a final
Country-by-Country Guide: Government Measures Taken in Response to COVID-19
- Many countries have taken various health and safety measures to address the rising number of COVID-19 cases and the new COVID-19 variants.
- Governments continue to support workers and employers affected by the economic instability caused by the pandemic.
- Rollout of COVID-19 vaccines and investments in critical infrastructure are the key issues in government
Biden Administration Bolsters Buy American Requirements
- Tighter requirements for domestic content under consideration.
- New Made in America Office to be established and Made in America director to be appointed.
- Waivers to domestic preference laws subject to heightened scrutiny.
As part of his “Build Back Better” initiative, President Biden issued an executive order (EO) Tuesday that tightens Buy American requirements…
President Biden Issues Executive Order for “Buy American” Criteria in Federal Contracting
On January 25, 2021, President Joe Biden issued an Executive Order (EO) stating that the “United States Government should, whenever possible, procure goods, products, materials, and services from sources that will help American businesses compete in strategic industries and help America’s workers thrive.” The EO tightens Buy American requirements by enhancing enforcement efforts, increasing domestic…
Government Measures Taken in Response to COVID-19: Country-by-Country Guide 2.0
Since April 2020, we have collaborated with our foreign law firm partners to provide a chart summarizing the economic, labor and employment, health and safety, and export and import measures taken by governments around the world in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. After a short break, we are back with version 2.0 of our chart…
Webinar Invitation: COVID-19 Impact on International Trade
Please join us for a webinar on Thursday, April 30 from noon to 1:15 p.m. ET discussing the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on international trade. During the webinar we will discuss:
- U.S. and foreign government restrictions on the export of personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Impact on U.S. customs duties
- Section 301 tariff product exclusions
President Trump Signs Third Executive Order Affecting Buy American Act of 1933
On July 15, 2019, President Donald Trump signed an executive order, Maximizing Use of American-Made Goods, Products, and Materials, to further promote the principles underlying the Buy American Act of 1933. In remarks to the press, the president stated that “Early in my presidency, I ordered the federal government to live by two very…
Make “Buy American” Great Again: Does Trump’s New Executive Order Hit the Mark?
- President Trump’s recent executive order merely “encourages” use of goods, products and materials produced in the United States, rather than requires such use.
- Financial assistance programs are targeted.
- Each agency administering covered programs is required to respond to the president by May 31, 2019 on areas where Buy American principles can be maximized.
President Trump Signs “Buy American and Hire American” Executive Order
On April 18, 2017, President Trump signed an executive order seeking stricter enforcement of federal procurement policies and revamping the H-1B guest-worker visa program. In remarks on signing the order, Trump stated, “With this action, we are sending a powerful signal to the world: We’re going to defend our workers, protect our jobs, and finally…