On July 6, 2022, the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) issued a notice seeking public comments to assist in the development of a forced labor trade strategy. The notice indicates that the strategy “will identify priorities and establish an action plan for utilizing existing and potential new trade tools to combat forced labor in traded goods and services.” In submitting comments, parties are invited to consider the following questions:
- What actions could the U.S. government pursue with like-minded trade partners and allies to combat forced labor as an unfair trade practice?
- How can the U.S. government bolster the forced labor components of trade agreements and trade preference programs to have greater effect?
- What new and innovative trade tools can the U.S. government develop and utilize to advance efforts to combat forced labor in traded goods and services?
- How can the U.S. government make the development of trade policy on forced labor a more inclusive process?
- Do you have additional recommendations for monitoring, tracing or eliminating forced labor in traded goods and services in supply chains?
The deadline for submitting comments is August 5, 2022. USTR requests that comments be submitted electronically via the Federal eRulemaking Portal at https://www.regulations.gov, using Docket Number USTR–2022–0006.