Please join us for SmarTrade 2019, a complimentary, informative and interactive workshop focusing on risks and opportunities in the regulation of global trade. The workshop format will provide a unique opportunity to discuss industry best practices and common compliance pitfalls with experts in the field and your peers.
Partners Samir D. Varma and Norman A. Bloch will address the current compliance and enforcement environment for imports, exports, anti-bribery regulations and associated compliance challenges, and solutions by analyzing the international supply chain issues and global sales activity of a hypothetical company. Through this vehicle, we’ll suggest ways to manage your company’s risk exposure, and provide practical tips for dealing with government investigations relating to global trade transactions. Finally, we will discuss the current administration’s approach to international trade and its impact on U.S. businesses.
- Avoiding violations of U.S. export controls or economic sanctions
- Avoiding violations of anti-bribery laws, including the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and the UK Bribery Act
- Staying ahead of Customs & Border Protection enforcement, and using knowledge of Customs regulations to reduce costs and audit risks
- Assessing and managing the risks of trade regulatory violations, including civil and criminal penalties
- Preparing your company for government investigations, audits and verifications before the knock on the door
- Conducting internal investigations and submitting voluntary/prior disclosures
- Understanding the roles that OFAC (Treasury), BIS (Commerce), DDTC (State), CBP (Homeland Security), DOJ (Justice) and other government agencies play in the export/import regulatory and enforcement process
- Assessing and addressing individual liability in government enforcement investigations
- Keeping pace with changes in U.S. economic sanctions affecting trade with countries such as Russia, Cuba, Iran, Venezuela and North Korea
8:30 – 9 a.m. Registration
9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Program and Lunch
To register, please contact Stacy Weiner at Stacy.Weiner@ThompsonHine.com or 202.263.4184.